There once was a beggar who sat on a box by the side of the road for many, many years. Day in and day out, swarms of strangers would pass him on their way and the beggar did what all beggars do ask them for money. One day a traveler was passing through town and the beggar shouted “Can you please give me some money!”The traveler said “Sorry, I don’t have any money to spare, but I am curious about your box.” “What about my box?” the beggar replied. “Well, what’s in it?” The beggar responded, “I don’t know, it’s just an old box I found here that I’ve been sitting on for years.”
Persistent in his inquiry, the traveler once again asked what was in the box. The beggar replied, “I’ve never looked.” The traveler said “Why not?” “Because there is nothing there!” the beggar howled back. The traveler said “Well let’s take a look, shall we?” Finally, to appease the traveler’s insistence, the beggar opened the box and amazingly, he finds a pile of gold. Without him knowing he’d be sitting on a fortune worth more than he would ever need in his lifetime.
Lessons from this story:
- Your attitude and beliefs can blind you for the opportunities that present themselves in front off you, sometimes even under you.
- Never presume you know everything. Always get your facts straight, do not presume to quick and always be at least a little bit curious.
- Sometimes you just have to get your ass up and get things done.
- You can solve more situations on your own than you think. All you need to do is keep calm and just do some work.
- Most of the times in your life you are the one setting the limits for yourself.
Are there any lessons I missed? Please let me know in the comment section.
Source of the featured image: What is in the box?
I hope you found this post helpful. Let me know what you think. Talk to you in the comment section.